top of page
Identifying and Understanding Toxic Weeds for Horses.png

Protecting Your Equine Friends: Identifying & Understanding Toxic Weeds for Horses

As responsible horse owners, it's vital to create a safe and healthy environment for our equine friends. However, along the east coast, including Maryland, several toxic weeds can pose significant risks to horses. In this blog post, we will discuss the lush spring grasses that can cause founder and explore various toxic plants, such as hemlock, horsenettle, milkweed, Jimson Weed, poke weed, buttercups, rhododendron, and Star of Bethlehem. By understanding these plants and their associated symptoms, you can take proactive steps to prevent ingestion and keep your horses out of harm's way. 

Lush Spring Grasses and Founder: Excessive consumption of lush spring grasses can lead to a condition called founder (laminitis) in horses. Founder occurs due to the abundance of sugar and fructans in the grass. Look out for symptoms such as lameness, increased pulse and respiratory rates, heat in the hooves, and reluctance to move. 

Hemlock: Hemlock is a highly poisonous plant found across the eastern United States, including Maryland. It contains coniine, a toxin that affects the central nervous system. Even a small amount of hemlock can be fatal to horses. Watch for symptoms like weakness, trembling, dilated pupils, respiratory distress, seizures, and paralysis in case of hemlock poisoning. 

Horsenettle: Commonly found in pastures, horsenettle is a thorny, flowering plant with toxic leaves, stems, and fruit. Ingesting horsenettle can cause oral irritation, colic, diarrhea, increased heart rate, and respiratory distress in horses. 

Milkweed: Recognized by its distinctive flowers and milky sap, milkweed contains cardiac glycosides that are toxic to horses. Symptoms of milkweed ingestion include colic, abdominal pain, rapid and weak pulse, difficulty breathing, depression, and cardiac arrhythmias. 

Jimson Weed: Jimson Weed, also known as Datura, is a large and invasive plant found throughout the eastern United States. All parts of the plant, especially the seeds, contain toxic alkaloids. Ingesting Jimson Weed can cause a range of symptoms, including colic, dilated pupils, dry mouth, increased heart rate, difficulty swallowing, confusion, seizures, and even coma. 

Poke Weed: Found in wooded areas and fence lines, poke weed is toxic to horses, particularly its roots and berries. Ingestion of poke weed can result in colic, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dehydration, muscle weakness, and, in severe cases, heart abnormalities. 

Buttercups: Bright yellow buttercup flowers, commonly found in pastures and meadows, can cause oral irritation, drooling, colic, and diarrhea if ingested in large quantities, although horses generally avoid them due to their acrid taste. 

Rhododendron: Rhododendron, an ornamental shrub often seen in gardens and landscaping, contains toxins called grayanotoxins in its leaves and flowers. Symptoms of rhododendron poisoning in horses include drooling, colic, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, depression, and weakness. 

Star of Bethlehem: Star of Bethlehem, a small white flower found in fields and lawns, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, and weakness if ingested by horses. 

Preventing Toxic Plant Ingestion: Toxic plants have a bitter taste, deterring consumption. Healthy and well-fed horses typically avoid toxic plants when provided with good quality forage. However, to ensure their safety, horse owners should be aware of the following factors: 

  • Undernourished horses. 

  • Inadequate access to forage. 

  • Unavailability of pasture grasses due to overgrazing, drought, or changing seasons. 

  • Highly toxic plants. 

  • Reports of poisoning in healthy animals caused by specific toxic plants. 

While it may be impossible to eliminate all potentially toxic plants, you can minimize the risk of plant poisoning through effective management practices: 

  • Maintain a well-rounded nutritional program for horses. 

  • Ensure a constant supply of forage, such as grass or hay. 

  • Identify and remove toxic plants and trees within and near the pastures. 

  • Fence off or remove toxic trees and shrubs. 

  • Clear broken branches from toxic trees that have fallen into the pasture. 

  • Avoid planting toxic trees, shrubs, or ornamental plants near barns and pastures. 

  • Refrain from using forests and wetlands for horse turn-outs, as they often harbor toxic plants. 

  • Implement proper grass management techniques, including fertilization, rotational grazing, and resting periods. 

  • Regularly mow pastures to control weed growth. 

  • Use appropriate herbicides to eliminate toxic plants when necessary. 

  • Do not dispose of garden or lawn clippings in pastures, as they may contain toxic plants. 

By familiarizing yourself with the toxic weeds and plants prevalent in your horse's environment, you can take proactive measures to protect their well-being. Regularly inspect your pastures, remove dangerous plants, and consult with Dr. Judy if you suspect ingestion of toxic plants. The safety and health of your equine friends should always be a priority. If you have any concerns or suspect plant ingestion, don't hesitate to contact Kent Veterinary Center at Glasgow Farm immediately!  

bottom of page